X-Ray Lead Glass
We provide lead glass for your project-specific requirements. Select from standard sizes or request a quote for custom sizes or lead thicknesses.
X-Ray Lead Glass purchases include free shipping.
All the x-ray leaded glass listed here meet 2mm lead equivalency based @ 150kvp. We offer higher lead equivalencies if required.
While this is the most common lead equivalency for general x-ray rooms used by doctors, dentists, chiropractors, and medical centers; you will still need to check with your local health official or radiation physicist to determine the required lead shielding for your room.
To request a quote on a custom size or lead equivalency Click Here
Standard X-Ray lead glass does not meet impact resistant requirements to be used in doors or within 24" of doors.
Impact Resistant X-Ray Safety Glass is available upon request and is permanently labeled as safety glass in compliance with ANSI Z97.1 and CPSC 16 CFR Part 1201 CAT I for impact resistance.
- Over 50 standard sizes up to 96" x 48"
- 3 day standard fabrication
- Many x-ray protective shielding levels available
- Safety rated impact resistant or laminated available upon request
- Available with lead lined telescoping frames for walls or lead lined vision frames doors
- Our x-ray protective lead glass meets Federal Specification DD-G-451 and ASTM C1036 requirements and all applicable current NCRP and ICRP lead glass criteria and standards in physical quality descriptions.
- Our Lead Glass also meets or exceeds National Council of Radiation Protection (NCRP) Report No. 49 and No.147, and also ICRP lead glass criteria and standards in physical quality descriptions and required densities.
Impact resistant X-Ray safety glass is available upon request and is permanently labeled as safety glass in compliance with ANSI Z97.1 and CPSC 16 CFR Part 1201 CAT I for impact resistance.
Laminated Lead glass is available upon request and meets ANSI Z97.1, CPSC 16 CFR 1201, and ASTM C1172
X-Ray Glass is:
- Available in 1.6mm, 2.0mm, 2.4mm, 3.2mm and 3.7mm lead shielding equivalences and higher ratings are available upon request.
- The highest density x-ray lead glass available for the most efficient medical radiation shielding quality, and yet also allowing approx. 88% spectral light transmission.
- Uniformly dense and is a composition of high quality materials providing a dependable shielding value.
- Utilized for medical x-ray, gamma, alpha and beta photon shielding only.
- Not for thermal neutron or fast neutron shielding. X-Ray lead glass will NOT shield against Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), electro-magnetism or radio-frequency, ultrasound, laser or any non-ionizing types of radiation.
LEAD GLASS FOR X-RAYS
X-Ray Lead Glass is annealed glass that contains lead oxide and other heavy metals. It offers protection against radiation by absorbing the energy of the radiation. Lead glass is used in many medical environments, from dentist offices to hospitals, laboratories where x-rays and other radiation therapy is tested, and even industrial applications like x-ray imaging of welds on airplanes and pipelines.
Lead glass is primarily used to protect x-ray technicians and other bystanders in a medical office building or hospital and researchers in medical environments where x-ray diagnostic imaging is taking place. This glass is used to protect from gamma and x-ray radiation in CT scanners, PET scanners, general x-ray rooms, panoramic x-rays, and many more.
Due to the magnetic component of MRIs, lead glass cannot be used in these environments.
LEAD GLASS PROTECTION AND USES
Leaded glass is a reliable form of protection that can be utilized in many different applications throughout the medical research and treatment field. Lead glass is created to protect against gamma-ray and x-ray radiation. The thickness of the glass correlates with the amount of radiation shielding it provides. For instance, glass with 2.0 mm Pb is 8mm (5/16”) thick and provides the equivalent amount of protection received from a 2 mm thick lead lined wall.
The reason Lead glass is so effective is that it is clear, so it provides protection while also providing an effective way to observe the patient or isotope on the other side of the glass. This helps medical professionals do their jobs effectively every day, whether it is observation and research or actively assisting in radiation tests with patients, without risking long-term radiation exposure.
We carry over 80 stock sizes ready to ship in just 3 days after order placement. Our custom size glass also ships in just 5 working days and we have no cutting charge. We fabricate our glass to the specific needs and requirements of the medical office, hospital, or laboratory.
Additionally, there are other uses for lead glass that extend beyond the medical field. These are a few common uses and applications that are not strictly medical:
- Airport security x-ray stations
- Industrial x-ray imaging of welds
- Electron Beam shielding
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)
- Farnsworth–Hirsch Fusor shielding
All industries that use Lead glass are drawn to this type of glass because of its safety and its properties. However, lead glass is also preferred because of its versatility, in addition to being able to be customized in size, shape, and thickness; though the main use will continue to be for the medical or diagnostic imaging field. In appearance, lead glass has a light yellow hue. This light yellow still allows for visibility and light transmission but also helps keep light from reflecting directly as translucent glass does.
TYPES OF LEAD GLASS THAT LEAD GLASS PRO OFFERS
All the x-ray leaded glass products available through Lead Glass Pro either meet or exceed the National Council of Radiation Protection (NCRP) Report No. 49 and No.147, as well as ICRP lead glass criteria and standards in physical quality descriptions and required densities. There are many different lead glass options available through Lead Glass Pro.
Here are some of the specific options that are available:
- X-Ray Shielded Lead Glass
- X-Ray Lead Glass with Lead Lined Window Frame for Walls
- X-Ray Door Lite Kits with Lead Safety Glass for Doors
- X-Ray Lead Glass Discs
- X-Ray Shielding Insulated Glass Units
- Fire Rated Units
The glass products that are listed here meet a minimum of 2mm lead equivalency based at 150 KVP. However, Lead Glass Pro also offers higher lead equivalencies if required.
While this is the most common lead equivalency for general x-ray rooms used by doctors, dentists, chiropractors, and medical centers, it is still required that you check with your local health official or radiation physicist to determine the required lead shielding for the room(s) in question.
INFORMATION ABOUT LEAD GLASS PRO’S LEAD SHIELDING
- Lead Glass Pro offers the highest density x-ray lead glass available for the most efficient medical radiation shielding quality, which also allows approximately 85% spectral light transmission.
- Lead Glass Pro ensures that its materials are uniformly dense and have a high-quality composition, which provides a dependable shielding value.
- Lead Glass Pro’s X-Ray Lead Glass is approved for the medical x-ray, gamma, alpha, and beta photon shielding only.
- X-Ray Lead glass is NOT for thermal neutron or fast neutron shielding. X-Ray lead glass will NOT shield against Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), electro-magnetism or radio-frequency, ultrasound, laser or any non-ionizing types of radiation.
- Lead Glass Pro x-ray protective lead glass meets Federal Specification DD-G-451 and ASTM C1036 requirements and all applicable current NCRP and ICRP lead glass criteria and standards in physical quality descriptions.
Lead Glass Pro offers over 80 standard sizes, up to 96" x 48". Therefore, many customers do not have a problem custom-fitting the glass into one of the standard sizes.
Additionally, are many different glass lead equivalencies available from Lead Glass Pro. Some of the most common thicknesses are:
If your application requires a higher lead shielding equivalence, please submit a quote request to email@example.com
LEAD GLASS FABRICATION TIME
Lead Glass Pro does everything in its power to have an easy and quick transaction. Therefore, we have achieved a typical fabrication time of only 3 days. The transit time is only typically 1 to 4 days. That means that most Lead Glass Pro customers have their products, from start to finish, at their doorstep in a week.
Many Lead Glass Pro customers are thrilled at the speed with which our company delivers their custom x-ray lead glass. With other companies, it could be 5 or more weeks before an order is filled and delivered. However, Lead Glass Pro knows that when you need Lead Glass, especially for the medical field, you need a quick turnaround time. That is why the Lead Glass Pro team works so diligently to get orders out in such a timely fashion, while also maintaining the high level of satisfaction we are known for. Additionally we ship anywhere in the US and American territories as well as Mexico and Canada.
X-RAY LEAD GLASS ADD-ONS AND OPTIONS
In addition to having many x-ray protective shielding levels, thicknesses and sizes available, Lead Glass Pro also offers a host of options to make your Lead Glass fit your needs precisely. Here are the add-on options that are available upon request:
- Safety rated impact-resistant or laminated leaded glass can be ordered.
- Glass can be available with lead-lined telescoping frames for walls or lead-lined vision frames doors.
- Fire Rated X-Ray Lead Glass Insulated Glass Units
- Integral Mini Blind Insulated X-Ray Lead Glass Units
- Customer must verify lead equivalency meets the shielding requirements of the room
- Payment will be required to begin fabrication.
- Once fabrication begins, no cancellations or changes may take place
- By placing this order and paying you accept and have verified sizes, quantities, lead equivalency, and accept the terms for shipping / receiving and returns / replacement
- All products must be inspected upon delivery in the presence of the delivery driver. Once the product is received and the delivery receipt is signed, no claims for damage will be entertained. If there is damage, note it on the delivery receipt and contact us immediately.
- All radiation shielding calculations must be determined by a radiation physicist.
- A forklift is required for offloading sizes larger than 24" x 24"
- Our products can only ship to a commercial address. We cannot ship to residential addresses.